The Hellenic Manufacturers of Defence Material Association (SEKPY) is a non-profit organisation whose main objective is to support and promote the interests of its members, and to develop the local defence industry to meet domestic and international needs in order to reduce the large national trade deficit in the defence equipment sector.
SEKPY was established in March 1982. The founding members were initially 20 companies with experience in the defence industry employing about 2,000 workers. Over time, more companies joined the Association and today more than 200 Greek defence industries are members of the Association, which directly employs more than 15,000 people.
The companies are organised, operated and managed according to modern standards and procedures that have been successfully evaluated by foreign organisations and manufacturers who undertake the defence workload. Most of them meet all the requirements of the Allied Quality Assurance Procedures (AQAP) and the International Organisation for Standardisation (ISO).
• To make recommendations to the Government authorities for the national planning of the development of the Greek Defence Industry.
• To participate in the formulation and implementation of the national policy on research, development and technology in the defence sector.
• Ensuring the participation of the domestic industry in armament programmes as well as in Research & Development programmes.
• To cooperate with corresponding foreign associations with a view to promoting joint industrial cooperation programmes.
• Representation of the domestic defence industry in Greek and international organisations and associations.
• The preparation of studies on defence industry and armaments subjects
• Contributing to the promotion of the domestic defence industries and the products and services produced in the international market.
• To inform the members on the developments of the Greek and international defence environment.
• To support the members in the success of their activities and in their cooperation with the Ministry of National Defence and other governmental bodies.
• The organisation of Conferences and Seminars.